Research at the Map & Education Center
Our collections are open to anyone with a Boston Public Library card. Library cards are available to any resident of Massachusetts. More information about getting a BPL library card can be found on the BPL’s website.
Non-Massachusetts residents can apply for a research card for the purpose of using Research Library materials (in-library use only). This can be obtained with photo identification that shows your name and address, and has your signature. The easiest form of ID is a driver’s license or State ID card showing your current address.
Monday: 10 am-5 pm
Tuesday: 10 am-5 pm
Wednesday: 10 am-5 pm
Thursday: 10 am-7 pm
Friday: 10 am-5 pm
Reading Room Policy:
For security purposes, only select personal items are permitted in the reading room. Coats, bags, books, notebooks, and other belongings can be stored in a secure staff area while using the reading room.
The following items are permitted in the reading room:
- Laptops, cameras, and electronic accessories removed from their cases
- Loose sheets of paper and notecards, though they must be kept to an absolute minimum and are subject to inspection by staff
Any materials brought into the reading room are subject to inspection. Patrons may be asked to open laptops, present loose papers for inspection, etc.
Items NOT permitted in the reading room include but are not limited to:
- Notebooks, notepads, folders, or envelopes of any kind
- Paper clips, rubber bands, or other fasteners
- Adhesive tapes, sticky notes
- Pens, markers
- Personal scanners
- Hats, large coats, or jackets
- Bags of any kind or size
- Food, drink, or chewing gum